RECREATIONAL HOCKEY CALGARY
Sponsored by ATB Financial
Hi to all Rec Hockey players, parents and coaches:
Thanks to all for a very successful start to the 2014-15 season. I hope that everyone is enjoying their hockey experience this season and we’re looking forward to a great year.
This year we are implementing two new awards, one for individual sportsmanship and one for team sportsmanship. We are fortunate to have a lot of great players and excellent coaches involved with Rec Hockey, and we want to ensure that we recognize these people for embracing the Rec Hockey philosophy of sportsmanship and fair play. The details for each award are as follows:
- · Individual Sportsmanship Award: This award will be presented to any player that completes the season with zero penalties. Each year, we have approximately 10% of our players finish the season penalty-free, and we wish to acknowledge their commendable effort with a token of appreciation. We are partnering with ATB Financial on this award and will present it to the players during the Year End Tournament. We will also be posting an Honour Role of recipients on our website.
- · Team Sportsmanship Award: This award will be presented to any team that averages two or less penalties per game from the first game of the season up to the first game of the Year End Tournament. The award will be a $200 gift card presented to the team’s coach on the first game of the Year End Tournament with the intention of having the team enjoy a year-end dinner or party during the YET with our appreciation. Both the team and the head coach that are awarded this acknowledgement will be listed on an Honour Role on our website. We are currently working with a sponsor for this award and more details will be provided as we draw closer to the YET.
I will have more information on these awards as we approach the Year End Tournament. Again thanks to all players, coaches and parents for your commitment to Rec Hockey Calgary!
President, Recreational Hockey Calgary
**NEWS FLASH** We still have vacancy for one more BANTAM Goalie (born 2000-2001). Please contact our registrar, Cathy, immediately. Thank you.
As the Recreational Hockey Calgary 2014 – 2015 season gets under way, here are a few reminders and updates for coaches, players, and parents:
- Coaches please see important information added in the Coaches' Corner tab under Announcements regarding PIC.
- Game schedules are posted on the Hockey Calgary website: Pee Wee, Bantam, Midget, and Junior.
- NEW: Important resources available to be educated on Concussion Awareness. Please see Hockey Calgary's Injury Information page.
Please note that all of our divisions are currently FULL. Wait lists are available for all divisions.
For those players currently on the Wait List, our goal is to try and accommodate as many players as possible. During the early part of the season, we expect that we will be able to place players based on withdrawals, injury and team composition. So, please be patient - there may not be a roster spot at the beginning of the season but we are hopeful that we can accommodate many of the Wait List players during the first month or so of the season.
Please note that we are required to place players depending on position and skill to fill a necessary roster spot. Therefore, the placing of payers is not based on when the player was put on the Wait List but rather based on the need for that team to ensure proper team balance.
*** Attention RHC Junior Players ***
This year, Rec Hockey is looking for on-ice assistance from Junior skaters and goalies to assist with our Pee Wee development sessions. Skaters will be requested to demonstrate skills and drills for the Peewee players, assist with drill set-up, possibly supervise drill stations and provide on-ice encouragement. Goalies are requested to provide instruction to Pee Wee goalies, conduct drills and to mentor them during these sessions.
We are looking for two skaters and one goalie to assist with each session. Sessions are held on every second Saturday morning starting October 4th.
We are requesting participation on a voluntary basis; however, food and beverages will be provided to all volunteers to acknowledge their time and effort.
Please respond to the Pee Wee Coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in assisting, indicating the session(s) for which you would be available. Please let us know if you are willing to participate as part of a volunteer commitment or a desire to get into coaching or instruction, and we will do our best to accommodate you. Note that goalies and skaters are required to wear helmets at all times while on the ice.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
The First Shift - Helping Kids Fall In Love With Hockey
Hockey Calgary has launched a new program, The First Shift Sponsored By Bauer, for boys and girls aged 6 - 10 who have never participated in organized hockey before. Please see details by visiting Hockey Calgary or The First Shift.
2014 Annual General Meeting - April 16, 2014
As the 2013-14 season draws to a close, we wish to thank the players, parents, coaches and volunteers for making this season fun and successful. Rec Hockey Calgary is a vibrant and growing part of the minor hockey program in Calgary, offering a great alternative to community hockey. As with any organization, Rec Hockey Calgary is dependant on a number of dedicated volunteers who sit on the RHC Board of Directors and support the organization by fulfilling a board position.
For 2014-15, we want to welcome Mike Speta and Mark Leduc as new Midget Coordinators, James Mills as a Junior Coordinator, Calvin Chan as the Webmaster, and Sandra Hanna as our new Secretary.
We want to sincerely thank Jeff Deere and David Knudson who have finished their terms and will be leaving the RHC board. Your efforts and enthusiasm will be greatly missed
Created by: WEBMASTER -- Last updated:Nov 13, 2014